Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Starting to understand why people lose their minds during remodeling projects

One week ago (Monday)

(Phone rings) "Hi! I'm calling from World Wide Construction (http://www.servicemagic.com/rated.WorldwideConstruction.13948992.html). Are you planning to do any upgrades on your house any time soon?"

Erik - "Actually, we are going to add a bathroom to our existing master bedroom, but I'm planning to do most of the work myself. I just need to hire someone to do the foundation."

WWC - "GREAT! We'd love to come out and give you a free estimate.

Erik - "How about Thursday?"

WWC - "Is there a time that both you and the missus will be home? You see, we need to have both of you there because if there were to be a divorce then that would really leave us in a bind."

Erik - "O...K... Um...Tuesday would work. Not this week, but next week is good. How about 11:00 a.m.?"

WWC - "No problem - we'll see you next Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.!" Click.

A week ago (Tuesday)

WWC - "Hi! I'm calling from World Wide Construction to confirm our appointment for 11:00 today."

Camille: "Um...O.K." (Thinking...I thought it was for next week, but must have mixed up the days.) "See you at 11." Click.

"Erik - someone called to confirm that estimate appointment today."
"What? It was supposed to be next week!!"

Dial...explain...reconfirm...settled.

Today

WWC - "Hi! I'm calling from World Wide Construction to confirm our appointment for 6:00 p.m. tonight."

Erik - "No, no, no. We're down for 11:00 a.m..

WWC - "Hang on, let me go get my order." (Silence) "Let me call you back." Click.

(Ringing) WWC - "Oh yes, ok, sorry... we have you down for 11:30."

Erik - "I think we agreed on 11. I need to pick up my daughter from school so 11:30 won't work."

WWC - "It will be between 11 and 11:30"

Erik - "I need you to come at 11. 11:30 won't work. What time will your guy be here?"

WWC - "O.K., he'll be there at 11... maybe 11:10...or 11:20...but it will probably be 11:30."

Erik - (rolling eyes) "Fine, I'll see you then." Click.

(Ringing) WWC - "Hey, I have you down for a foundation...what was this going to be for?"

Erik - "We're adding a bathroom to our existing bedroom."

WWC - "Great! So we can draw up plans for this and give you an estimate for the whole job."

Erik - "NO! (voice raised at this point) I'm only interested in an estimate for the foundation. I'm going to do the rest of the work myself."

WWC - "Oh, ok...we'll see you at 11:30." Click.

(Ringing) WWC - "Uh, my manager said that we're not going to be able to accommodate you."

Erik - "Wow...ok...any reason why?"

WWC - "Uh...no, he didn't really give a reason. Sorry."

Erik - "Well, I guess that was a big waste of your time and mine."

WWC - "Ya...sorry."

Erik - (forced cheerful voice) "O.K. bye!" Click.

Erik (muttering under his breath) "Now I understand why construction guys are always swearing..."

3 comments:

Jenn said...

This was awesome!! Comedic material if it wasn't true. I guess that's where I get "Funny Because it's True!!"

Thanks for the laugh!!

Debbie said...

i just had a good laugh ... love that story .. thanks for sharing :-)

Anonymous said...

hi! just discovered your blog. yay! um, this story is crazy. especially the bit about in case you get divorced. way to start positive eh. ha!